Saturday, July 24, 2010

Royal Flush

I watched from my car as she exited the store.

Carrying three shopping bags from three different high-fashion (a.k.a. expensive) designer stores, she adjusted her $500 sunglasses and checked the multi-thousand dollar watch on her wrist.

Her phone must have rang or vibrated, because she shifted her purchases, dug into her overpriced handbag and retrieved a smartphone. As she brought it to her ear, she tilted her face upward, the sun catching and dancing the samba with her blonde hair.

Whoever was on the other end must have said something funny or endearing, because her face brightened and her smile could have powered the city of Miami on a hot summer day.

Whoever. I knew who.

I shifted the car into reverse. How lucky was I to have found this particular space today.

I had watched her habits for the last three months. Mondays and Wednesdays were gym days. Tuesdays were mani-pedi days. And Thursdays .... Thursdays were her days to buy new lingerie.

Thursdays was what he called poker night with the guys

I then shifted the car into drive and idled for a moment. Watched as she threw her had back and laughed. I used to laugh like that.

She stepped off the curb. I pressed the accelerator.

A red teddy, lacy thongs, and tissue paper flew into the air and landed, scattered across the parking lot. I picked up the teddy. My size. Maybe red was my color after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment